Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Writing space


I am sitting here trying to write. I have just had send my youngest (G, 10) up to her room with her laptop because she is playing a game that has the most distracting noises. She thinks I am an ogre that I dare make her leave the living room (a public space in our house). I had been trying to tune out the noise, but then A (the 12 yr. old) came down and was annoyed by the noises too. So to me, a majority in a public space gets the say of what is annoying and must leave. Fair, right? I actually have a tendency to get on the phone in the midst of TV watching with the family and I get sent to my room, because it is distracting to the majority.

The problem also comes because my preferred writing space is sitting in my reclining couch in the living room. I have my laptop, my feet up, and my coffee or diet soda close at hand. I don’t like writing at a desk. So I am trying to use a public space as my writing space. Not good, especially since it is summer and the kids are always around. So now I am trying to think of what and where I can carve out some “Nancy writing” space. The office (despite not wanting to write at a desk) would be an option, except Jarrod works in there every Tuesday, all day, and sporadically during the rest of the week and weekend. We have a “hobby” room upstairs but it is a mess, and we had decided to turn it into a hangout room/homework room for the girls. There is my bedroom, but I really am not sure how comfortable I would be trying to write sitting in my bed. There is just something about my reclining sofa spot that just WORKS. I have a spot open to my left where one of my dogs will come and sit with me. Additionally we have an open concept house with another living area (the front room) where the girls will often hang out watching TV. I can hear their TV from there. Sometimes distractions are not a problem and I am just in the zone and nothing can stop me from writing. But other times that dreaded block comes along and every noise takes me out of my head where I am trying to hear what my characters are saying.

                Everyone has their own technique that works for them. Some are more rigid then others. Am I rigid in needing to be in this exact spot to work? I guess I will try a few others today and see.

Not my actual space, but close.

 
Ciao!!

1 comment:

  1. I find it helps to play my favorite movie soundtracks on my headphones. That way it's the music and my thoughts which more easily blocks everything else out. I can't use anything with lyrics though.

    ReplyDelete